Monday, March 23, 2015

The start of a new year!

The 2015 growing season has started for us here in Indiana - or very nearly.  We've had several random days of wonderful weather and despite the rain (and maybe snow!) to come, we're making plans.  Mr. S and I have been hard at work planning the rotation of our raised beds and contriving layouts for a new, exclusively herb bed.

One of the surprising things about gardening that I've learned over the years is the benefits of a good and continually kept garden journal.  I used to think the concept was silly, and never thought I'd use it, let alone keep it maintained.  However, I've found that the exact opposite is true.  It's really come in handy!  Mine is a vibrant green, blank, lined journal I found at a local big box store and it's worked marvelously.  Its nothing fancy, so I'm not worried about it getting ruined by being outside and in the dirt.  The bright color means I can usually find it after I've carried it around the house/yard/garage, and it can fit in my purse if we go to the nursery and I need to consult.  We have really come to depend on it, especially as we are beginning our planning for the year.  I recorded the high and low temperatures for much of the early part of last year's spring season, so we have something to go on in regards to frost dates for this year.

This week's tasks include:

  • Cutting and curing the seed potatoes for planting (hopefully) next weekend.
  • Aerating the lawn
  • Fertilizing the acid loving rhododendrens as well as the azaleas, roses, and bulbs. 
  • Planning, planning, planning
We are pleasantly surprised that the irises and the 200 tulips we planted last fall are starting to come up.  We were afraid that the irises were planted too late as the rhizomes had become quite dry by the time we got around to planting.  It looks like some survived after all!

We're holding off on cleaning the borders out and removing the winter cover of leaves, etc. as the weather is supposed to stay cool for the next week at least.  Hopefully more to come very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment