Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Potatoes Are In!


  • High:  60
  • Low:  38
  • Clear, Windy

Well, I'm a couple of days late, but we did get the potatoes planted before the rain came on Sunday.  I wish I could also say I got plenty of pictures of the process we used......but I did not.  I did, however, get a picture of my littlest helper:

Mr. S helped too, but more often than not he refuses to be photographed.  Here Little S was using his own garden hoe to help us turn the dirt in the bed.  We added compost and some more garden dirt to the bed and turned it all in, then planted the two types of potatoes, in two long, hilled rows.  The bed for the potatoes this year is only a 3x5, so we opted for just single rows of each type.  We chose Yukon Gold and French Fingerlings for our potatoes.  I didn't want to do Kennebecs because we can get them anytime from the store and really have nowhere to store them through the winter.  So we're doing this smaller amount of potatoes that we can likely consume before winter.

The garden paths and beds are still quite wet (we'd covered the potato bed in black plastic to heat it up througout this past week so it was good and dry).  I think we might be jumping the gun yet, but everything says that potatoes go in early, so by goodness, they're in early.  I'm trying to gauge when the peas need to go in, which should be relatively soon - cool weather plant and all.  These two cold weather starters we've never had luck with, as I've said before.  I fully expect the heavens to open up and unleash torrential downpours anytime, as has happened in past years when we've attempted potatoes.  They all rotted in the ground, of course, the poor, waterlogged things.

I need to dig out my good SLR camera and take pictures more often through this year - but I think it's missing parts.  Might be a project for this weekend.  After the Easter festivities, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment